This week we talk with Adriana Vázquez Ortiz, CEO and Co-founder of Lilu about launching a healthcare startup and creating a product that improves breastfeeding. Adriana talks about how and why she started the company, the research and development process, understanding your customers’ needs, pitching and getting funded. She also talks about the importance of building better technology to improve lives and in Lilu’s case, helping mothers thrive during the transition into parenthood.
- Moms are eternally multi-tasking, and women are so incredibly good at coming up with life hacks – but Adriana realized there was a need to build better technology in some of the key areas which are challenging for lots of parents: breastfeeding and sleep. Lilu is helping to improve breastfeeding.
- No matter how unpolished the product was in the beginning it was important to have real users in the testing from the beginning.
- Getting feedback from the target customer is critical to learning, even if the product isn’t ready.
- On funding/pitch competitions: Apply, apply apply! You learn so much in the process. It forces you to distill your company and vision into a few words. This is a very helpful exercise, no matter what stage.
- On pitching: Know who you are pitching to and learn from every single pitch. Find excuses to rehearse over and over in front of as many people as you can. “Practice makes better”
- On entrepreneurship:
- Remember that “it’s a marathon, not a sprint.”
- It is important to ask for help. Use your advisors.
- Pay that support forward.
ADRIANA C VÁZQUEZ ORTIZ
Adriana is CEO and Co-founder of Lilu which creates the next generation of products to help moms pump, manage and track their milk supply. Adriana graduated from MIT where she received a B.S. in Mathematics with Computer Science. She later pursued a Masters in Integrated Product Design at the University of Pennsylvania. She loves running, attempting to snowboard, has been a pescatarian for over a decade, kind of speaks four languages and prefers carrot cake over chocolate cake.
Follow Adriana online at:
Download the FREE Lean the F*ck Out Launch Kit
If you are thinking about starting a business or side hustle, check out our Lean the F*ck Out Launch Kit. The kit gives you tools and inspiration to start thinking like a fempreneur and start designing the life you want! You’ll receive a guided meditation to help you figure out your vision, a budget worksheet to see what you need financially to make a go of it, daily practices including printable worksheets and daily affirmations to help you keep your head up when your confidence is waning. Again, it’s free and it’s available at leanthef-ckout.com/launchkit.
Music: Sunshine by The Icicles
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.