In this episode of Lean the F*ck Out, we talk with Brooke Sprowl about how she is growing a therapy practice in Los Angeles, My LA Therapy, and her soon to be released book: Why You Should Date Emotionally Unavailable Men: Use Your Unhealthy Relationships to Transform Yourself and Your Love Life.
Growing a Therapy Practice Episode Highlights:
- When Brooke’s therapy practice was smaller, she didn’t need to have as many processes and systems in place, however, as her therapy practice started to grow, it became clear how important systems and processes were. One of her many lessons in business is that she should have developed those systems and processes right from the beginning.
- Don’t learn the systems as your scaling. Create the systems first.
- Brooke used a website approach to growing her therapy practice. A majority of her leads have been referrals and she has never paid for online advertising.
- Her success in marketing started with finding her authentic marketing voice on her website and blog.
- Videos allow people to understand who the therapists are and their potential fit.
- Tips for fempreneurs:
- Regulate anxiety above producing.
- Understand your goals for caring for yourself. Caring for yourself leads to be producing more effectively.
- There is no difference in productivity between six and eight hours of work in a single day.
- Have integrity from the beginning.
- Make sure your team feels valued and appreciated.
- Trust your intuition.
- Have people you trust who have the experience you need to learn from and draw from their wisdom.
- Don’t do it all alone.
- Don’t try to be too rational about everything all the time.
- Take a leap of faith but be responsible and do the planning.
Brooke Sprowl, LCSW is a UCLA-trained psychotherapist and author of the upcoming book Why You Should Date Emotionally Unavailable Men: Use Your Unhealthy Relationships to Transform Yourself and Your Love Life. With over 10 years of experience as an individual, couples, and family therapist, she specializes in anxiety, depression, relationships, codependency, abuse, LGBTQ issues, and narcissism. As the Founder, CEO, and Clinical Director of My LA Therapy she trains and oversees an elite team of therapists to navigate the complex and fascinating terrain of clinical psychotherapy.
Earning her Masters in Clinical Social Welfare with a specialization in Mental Health from UCLA and bachelor’s degrees in Neuroscience and Spanish from USC, she is passionate about applying her knowledge of the brain, biology, human behavior, and communication to helping people transform their lives.
Brooke has been featured for her mental health expertise in the Washington Post, Arianna Huffington’s Thrive Global Magazine, Annenberg Media, Social Work Today, Authority Magazine, Fatherly Magazine, Bustle, Martha Stewart Weddings, Mel Magazine, VoyageLA Magazine, Complex.com, and the Child Law Help Center on topics ranging from co-parenting strategies, sexual assault, the effects of student loan debt on mental health, and healthy communication for couples. Brooke is just beginning her foray into the podcast world and has appeared on the San IT Project, Power the Hustle, The Nobody Guide to Life, Sisterhood of Sweat, and The Segilola Salami Show
Through her upcoming book Why You Should Date Emotionally Unavailable Men: Use Your “Unhealthy” Relationship to Transform Yourself and Your Love Life, Brooke hopes to challenge the wrongheaded concepts surrounding the “emotionally unavailable man” that have turned relationships into war zones and prevented women from healing and growing. Why You SHOULD Date Emotionally Unavailable Men debunks the damaging myths that prevent women from developing healthy partnerships, offering a practical toolkit of relational skills and inner healing exercises in tandem. The book redefines what it means to be a strong woman and offers insight into how to use your relationships to see your blind spots and how to shed our narcissistic tactics and manipulative games in order to make real intimacy possible.
With over 15 years of leadership and public speaking experience, Brooke has received many awards and honors throughout her career for leadership and exceptional achievement. She is a published, award-winning poet and AA-rated beach volleyball player. In her spare time she enjoys beach volleyball, surfing, cycling, singing, songwriting, storytelling, and attempting to play the guitar and piano.
Follow Brooke online at:
Download the FREE Lean the F*ck Out Launch Kit
If you are thinking about starting a business or side hustle, check out our Lean the F*ck Out Launch Kit. The kit gives you tools and inspiration to start thinking like a fempreneur and start designing the life you want! You’ll receive a guided meditation to help you figure out your vision, a budget worksheet to see what you need financially to make a go of it, daily practices including printable worksheets and daily affirmations to help you keep your head up when your confidence is waning. Again, it’s free and it’s available at leanthef-ckout.com/launchkit.
Music: Sunshine by The Icicles