In this episode, we talk with therapist and female entrepreneur Mabel Yiu about self care for women entrepreneurs. As female business owners, taking care of ourselves is usually our lowest priority. We know the oxygen mask analogy for airplane safety but rarely apply that to how we care for ourselves in our business and personal lives. Mabel shares tools and techniques to recognize our patterns and make changes to take care of ourselves.
Mabel has seen many women in her therapy practice who struggle with what she calls a “yes woman” mentality. In the interview, she talks about six different types of “yes women” and her tried and true technique for how to battle your “yes woman” mentality, if you identify with one of the types.
Self-Care Episode Highlights:
- Boundary issues are the queen of all stress
- Yes Woman Types: selfless giver, superwoman, seeker, comparer, rescuer, perfectionist
- ABC technique for battling your “yes woman” mentality
- People show 20% of their lives in public, but we often compare our 100% to their 20%.
- Find your tribe, people who keep you accountable.
- 5 Minute Business Plan
Mabel Yiu is a Marriage and Family Therapist specializing in girls’ and women’s mental health at the Women’s Therapy Institute in Palo Alto, CA. When she is not working or running after her 5yo twins, she likes to take nice hot shower for longer than 5 minutes. You can reach her at email@example.com for more tips or tools, or visit her website womenstherapyinstitute.com.